Calypte is a cost-effective solution that gives you rate-monitored connectivity between DFA PoPs or between a DFA PoP and your site.
If you don’t need unlimited speed all the time, Calypte lets you choose a burstable data rate while still giving you the benefit of dark fibre. There is no hard limit on the bandwidth – your traffic can exceed the chosen data rate for short periods – and you can permanently upgrade or downgrade your bandwidth. Together with Tachyon, Peregrine, and Helios, it enables you to design and build your network in the most cost-effective way.
With Calypte, you can connect your core sites to our Tachyon aggregation nodes, giving you predictable performance to and from your core network. You can also connect between two of our Tachyon nodes in cases where you don’t need unlimited dark-fibre capacity. Calypte Metro provides cost-effective connectivity within metro areas, while Calypte Long Haul specifically caters for backhaul and long-haul connectivity.
|Service types||Point-to-point access Ethernet Private Line (EPL) /
Point-to-point access Ethernet Virtual Private Line (EVPL) to aggregate multiple Calypte services at a data centre
DFA PoP to DFA PoP /
DFA PoP to your chosen point of presence /
Point-to-point access EVPL aggregation at specific data centres:
|Non-recurring charge||Connection fee
Dependent on zone and selected throughput
|Monthly recurring charge||Monthly lease
Dependent on selected throughput
|Discount criteria||Lease term|
|Lease/payment terms||5 years
Fixed monthly lease payment
|Redundancy||Core route protection|
|Interface options||1Gbit/s (with maximum 25 services for EVPL) /
10Gbit/s for throughput above 800Mbit/s (with maximum 50 services for EVPL) /
100Gbit/s for EVPL only (with maximum 100 services)
Larger capacities available in selected cases
|Service level||Protected at DFA PoP /
Unprotected available if feasible
4-hour mean time to repair
EVPL: LAG available at ENNI configured using SC-LAG architecture as active/standby
|Monitoring||Layer 2 service monitoring|
Terms and conditions
- One termination point must always be at a DFA PoP.
- Uplink traffic will carry a C-Tag.
- Downlink traffic will carry a VLAN tag.
- Between data centres, traffic will carry a C-Tag.
- Build from existing DFA infrastructure to your premises will be for your account. This includes material, installation, and maintenance costs.
- Cross-connects to your network, for example at data centres, will be for your own account.
- You are responsible for managing contention. DFA will not be liable for traffic congestion or oversubscription.
- You are responsible for integrating your own network-monitoring tools (NMS) for network monitoring and management.
- You will be liable for abortive costs if DFA incurs costs as a result of, among other things, your sites not being ready or you cancelling an order.
Throughput rate and bursting
- DFA will monitor your use of the Calypte service transparently, without affecting your throughput rate or intercepting any data.
- For a selected throughput rate between 20Mbit/s and 800Mbit/s, DFA will allow bursting up to the full 1Gbit/s port speed.
- For a selected throughput rate between 800Mbit/s and 10Gbit/s, DFA will allow bursting up to double the selected throughput, limited to the 10Gbit/s port speed.
- When your actual throughput rate on the Calypte Metro service exceeds your selected throughput rate for more than five consecutive minutes more than three times in 30 days, the following will apply:
- DFA will notify you of the throughput-rate spikes.
- The relevant higher throughput-rate bracket’s cost will apply for the billing period.
- Your service will be upgraded automatically to the higher throughput-rate bracket and billed accordingly in future.
- The aggregated throughput rate of all services on an EVPL link cannot exceed the configured interface capacity.
- You may permanently upgrade your Calypte Metro service to a higher throughput-rate bracket without a penalty and without affecting the contract term.
- You may downgrade a Calypte Metro service on a 10Gbit/s interface only after 24 months.
- You may not downgrade a Calypte Metro service to a lower throughput rate than that of the initial order.
- Downgrades will take effect on the first day of the next month if DFA receives your request by the twentieth day of the current month.
- You may not downgrade a Calypte Metro service to a lower throughput rate than the peak throughput rate over the previous 30 days.
- A configuration fee for downgrades and other configuration changes will apply, which will depend on whether the downgrade must be implemented during office hours or after hours.
- Renewals are subject to feasibility.
Terminations and cancellations
- The terms and conditions for termination will be stipulated in the commercial agreement.
- An early termination penalty equal to the contract value of the remainder of the term will apply.
- DFA will waive the penalty for an early link termination if you order another Calypte Metro service at the same or a higher contract value as that of the terminated link’s remaining contract term. The following will apply:
- The terminated link will be billed until the new link is built and signed off.
- The new link will have its own full contract term and will be subject to the standard product rules.
- The new link must be between two DFA PoPs.